HartLogic was born in 2012 out of Bernhart Farras Sukandar’s observation of a powerful convergence among three fields: technology, entertainment, and art. Starting from his previous business, clothes manufacturing company called Java Indonesia Clothes (JIClothes, changed to benina group) who has a problem with innovation in branding.
JIClothes already operated since 2010 and have approximately hundreds of clients. In 2011 JIClothes, creates a label tag in every product that has been manufactured. But in 2012 the company needs new innovation, and the website is the answer because back then there’s only one clothes manufacturing company who have a website. Based on that needs Bernhart found a solution to create a website:
- Consult with a technology consulting company
- Consult with students who could create a website
- Do it yourself
He chose the third option, do it yourself. Because with the first option is too expensive and the second option couldn’t guarantee the maintenance with a disability to create needed features.
In 2013 some clients are asking what is your technology consulting company name? (At that time, Bernhart already has an unused domain called HartLogic). Bernhart answer the question with:
It’s called HartLogic
That’s the first time HartLogic name being mentioned! HartLogic Technology with the first purpose to support web creation of JIClothes and helping the small-medium enterprise to have a cheap but premium quality website and tech consultation.
In 2014 one of HartLogic client, request to do digital marketing and event management. So this time HartLogic change its name from HartLogic Technology into HartLogic. With three consulting services area: Technology, Marketing, and Media.
Between 2012 – 2015 while HartLogic being developed as a side business, Bernhart also building several businesses with his friends in the area of education, event, FnB (Food and Beverages), e-commerce, mobile applications and 20 more. He also works in multiple multinational companies in Indonesia and Germany.
Three months before coming back to Indonesia, he challenged himself to research and re-think about the entrepreneurial problem in Indonesia. He doesn’t want to make HartLogic only gaining revenue from supporting established business and not making a big impact on the entrepreneurial problem in Indonesia.
Then came up one question in his mind about “How can I help Indonesian Entrepreneurs to start his/her own business and collaborate with each other?.” Supported by these facts:
- The first is parents support. Most of the parents in Indonesia want their children to become an employee than becoming an entrepreneur. This problem has been a phenomenon in Indonesia, especially for young generation. The parents want their children to become an employee rather than to become a creator. This is the culture in Indonesia, they think their children should be a professor, doctor, or anything can be named as “profession” and they think that an entrepreneur is not a good profession.
- Second, the jobs, because of the first point before, most people want to be an employee. So, the interest becomes an employee increase and it is not comparable to the available jobs. So that’s why we need entrepreneurs to create the jobs.
- Third, patience, most of the people can’t be patient. They want their business is success faster as they can. As the entrepreneur, it can’t be done. They can focus on one business, the more experience the more knowledge that they will earn. Source: HartLogic Research.
- Ecosystem: The low amount of entrepreneurs in Indonesia according to Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) shows that Indonesia only has 1,65% as entrepreneurs from all the total 250 million people. Source: Kompas.
- Collaboration & Competition:
- The job competition is high, according to Pelaksanaan Harian Deputi Bidang Pelatihan dan Pengembangan BKKBN, Ida Bagus Permana, Indonesia will get the bonus about demography. It is about employee ages which are (15-64) and it reaches 70%. Where is the 30% going? the 30% unproductive people (less 14 ages and above 65 ages) they will increase in 2020-2030.
- Most young entrepreneurs don’t want to collaborate each other as entrepreneurs because they think their business is the best and the other are the competitor.
- Knowledge & Foundation: Entrepreneur should choose the product that will they sell and some people get confused to choose what will they make or what will they do as an entrepreneur. Skills also affected the entrepreneur, most of the people don’t have any skills when they begin as an entrepreneur. But, if they want to learn more, they will get more skill in business. Afraid to be failed in business. Most of the people think should have much money and can be failed. They think an entrepreneur only can be done by the rich people. most of the people think that the business is expensive. If they want to collaborate each other, they will earn advantages. They can reduce the cost production. Source: HartLogic Research.
- Research: According to Boediono the Vice President Indonesia 2009-2014, there are some problems to become an entrepreneur. There is law that affected entrepreneurs, macroeconomic condition in Indonesia is also affected because the entrepreneurs need a stable economy, the infrastructure in Indonesia also have big effect to entrepreneurs because the economic transaction must be effective on transportation, the regulation and the laws in Indonesia that are supporting for entrepreneurs or not, the service of financing for entrepreneurs, and last the skill of the employees. source: sindonews.com
From ” I ” transformed into ” We “. Bernhart immediately evaluates and merges all of his business that possible to be mixed because of the similar service into HartLogic and the other are merged into HartLogic Ventures:
- HartLogic Media (transformed to HartLogic Discover),
- HartLogic Technology (transformed to HartLogic Cloud and Consulting),
- HartLogic Creative (transformed to HartLogic Consulting),
- Learn to Share Academy (transformed into HartLogic Events, Incubator and Consulting),
- Indonesia Sekarang (transformed to HartLogic Discover)
- Java Indonesia Clothes (transformed to benina group),
- merekindonesia.com (transformed to samemiro),
- Karyaloka (New Ventures)
In 2015, after he came back from Germany, he asked for help from several friends while he finishing his bachelor degree thesis, he set a movement to make HartLogic reborn. HartLogic is focusing on managing current ventures while supporting its own platform by developing HartLogic Incubator and HartLogic Start.
From May 2015 to April 2016 HartLogic faced many challenges in the business ecosystem in Indonesia, there’s a little understanding about the business model for the founders and the team of business in Indonesia, especially in Bandung.
In May 2016, HartLogic launch HartLogic Official Website, HartLogic Brand Website, and HartLogic Company Website. After we start operational in Bandung from May until December 2016, 98% of HartLogic Team left, the company almost went closed, but there are only one hartroopers left at HartLogic, and he is Bernhart Farras. He almost gives up with HartLogic but there’s one thing in his mind.
My parents didn’t agree with me when I create HartLogic as main focus of my life and it’s really hard to convince them, but until now even they are not agree with me. I keep building HartLogic anyway and I know that the HartLogic world was not ready and the numbers are not yet worked.
– This is what Bernhart say to convince his own brain with facts and dream to believe in HartLogic.
After that transformed HartLogic vision from supporting business to Supporting Entrepreneurs Around The World and we change the business model from consulting company and business incubator to entrepreneurship platform. Then HartLogic focuses on doing more research, testing and building MVP in permanent beta.
Early 2017 HartLogic came up with an idea to make a simpler process to make users understand our platform easier by categorizing our service based on what user needs. We introduce the categorization of our service and create a massive upgrade to all of our websites after almost three thousand web updates, user experience test and renovation (2.741 and 6.321 user experience test to be exact). We announced HartLogic For You: HartLogic For People, HartLogic For Partner and HartLogic For Business for the first time in July 2017.
This time, the world was ready and the numbers worked. HartLogic final foundation website launched in January 2018 with three main product inside the entrepreneurship platform. HartLogic Solution that focuses to become your solution in your entrepreneurship journey, HartLogic Foundation that focuses to give back to the society, and HartLogic Cloud that focuses to support entrepreneurs with cloud technology.
(Back then in 2012, HartLogic was only a consulting company who help business to develop websites, create event, design, and solve marketing problems that operate in Bernhart Farras’s bedroom in his free time).